[vdr] Re: once again: standby mode

> >that means, that, if there is some kind of power save mode we can
> >put the card in when it.s no used, we can save energy, but what.s
> >(for me) much more important -> cool that damn thing a bit down !
> >
> >to get me right: the machine was still on power , but i guess the
> >mpeg2 decoder and/or tuner stopped working. so it.s no true standby
> >mode - just something like that. if we could see how to disable
> >these two parts on the card - GREAT !!
> >
> If i remember right, we thought about unloading the DVB-card driver to
stop
> the ARM application. I like the idea to cool down the cards this way,
> because there will be no additional noise from a fan and maybe the
lifefime
> of the cards will be extended.
>
> However, I for myself don't need this strategy, because i use my box for
VDR
> exclusively, and therefore can power down it completely while not
whatching
> or recording.
>
> Anyway, I have done some power measurements with my box. Maybe they're
> helpful:
> It's a two DVB-s card System (one Rev.1.3, the other Rev.2.1) with only
one
> wire to the LNB. I've measured the total power dissipation of the whole
box
> (true-RMS at the AC-Line).
>
> - Machine up and running, DVB unloaded, VDR not running: 47,7W
> - only DVB driver loaded: 54W
> - additionally VDR started, whatching TV using transfer mode: 57..59W
> - doing the timeshift-thing: 59..60W
>
> So, by unloading the driver while not whatching/recording, you should be
> able to save approx. 5 Watts per DVB-Card. Sounds not much, but even 5
Watts
> can produce a lot of heat.

so maybe that.s a way to go.
what already exists is the "timeout" value, which can be set to shutdown the
pc after a given time.
so why not use it that way:
unload vdr, unload drivers and shutdown hd.
BUT still check timers.conf e.g. every minute to see if a recording should
take
place.
this would save some watts. let.s say 5W per card and the hd. should be
15-20W.
this is almost 30% of all the energy consumed.

so my temp regulated fans would nearly stop and.... SILENCE. *g*

what do you think? is the pracitcable?

servus hannes!

Johannes Schoeller
<schoeller@gmx.at>