[vdr] Re: Does VDR prevent HDD from spindown?

> I installed noflushd which spins down the HDD after
> a specified timeout.
> On three of my PC's this works perfect.
> ... BUT ...
> my VDR Machine spins up again every 19(20) minutes.
> This only happens when VDR / runvdr script is running.
>
> Any ideas which processes/functions inside the VDR
> are scheduled to touch the HDD every 20 minutes ?

epg.data is written while vdr is running. also the
var/log/messages file is accessed.

i solved this by installing a ram disk, and mounting
/var/log on it. then of course you have to restart the
syslogd. before shutdown i copy /var/log back to hd.
(just in case you need the files sometimes...).

you can start vdr with a parameter telling it to store
epg.data somewhere else. in my case this is also
/var/log.

with this solution my hd goes to sleep for many hours.
BUT sometimes just wakes up only seconds after being
put to sleep. don.t ask me why. so i stopped putting
it to sleep because power on/off in short intervals
is not really good for the life time of hds.....

so its up to you .... :)

servus hannes!

Home | Main Index | Thread Index