[vdr] Re: Disk suggestions?

From: "Rene Bartsch" <rene@bartschnet.de>
> I'm running one 160 GB Maxtor in my Server with RedHat7.3. My BIOS
> doesn't support drives larger 128 GB, but who cares? (except
> Windoze-dummies).  RedHat has patched the kernel coming along with 7.3
> and kernels up from 2.4.19-pre4 (didn't test earlier ones) support
> 48-bit adresses.
>
> If you have your own little '/boot' partition, it's no problem!
>
> Rene

Well, forgive me, but it seems that I am one of those Windoze-dummies :-)
Just to be shure: do I need

a.) at least one small DISK to boot from, or

b.) one small PARTITION at the beginning of the one and only large
non-Bios-supported disk.

Option b.) would be nice, but I don't really believe that this will work. To
make the system boot from HD, you need to tell the Bios about the disk. The
only thing I can imagine to get b.) running is to tell the Bios wrong
parameters in C/H/S-notation and hope that it will be able to find the small
boot partition at the start of the Disk.  Does anybody tried this
successfully? (AFAIK modern disk dives can still be accessed via C/H/S
mehod)

Christian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index