[vdr] Re: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 10:53, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Andreas Schultz wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Why in the world should the various parts of VDR use different keys
> > > for, e.g., "menu up" or "menu down"? "Menu up" is "menu up" is "menu
> > > up"! If one part uses the "Up" key while another uses, say, the
> > > "Yellow" key for this function, this makes absolutely no sense. It only
> > > helps in confusing users.
> >
> > I have to agree to this, however .....
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > VDR is designed to work with a very limited number of remote control
> > > keys. Even if a specific RC has a lot more keys, it should still be
> > > possible to use VDR with only the originally defined keys. That way if
> > > you get to
> >
> > We should very carefull define what a _minimal_ remote will have. The
> > current definition is IMHO a bit confusion.
> >
> > What i think a _minimal_ remote should have (including possible double
> > meanings) is:
> >
> > Required:
> > - number keys 0 - 9
>
> Actually number keys are not _absolutely_ necessary. Except for some

right for VDR, but DVD spec requires them ...

> enhanced features like the editing functions one can use VDR a great deal
> without any number keys. But since most RCs will have them, they'll most
> likely be always available.
>
> > - Play / Ok / Enter
> >     - Play in live TV mode could go directly to a selection of playable
> > media - Stop / Cancel
> >     - Stop in live TV mode should Eject CD/DVD or bring up a Menu
> >       to select which medium should be ejected)
>
> In early versions of the DVD patch I did like the "Eject" button, but then
> again, does it really make that much sense? I mean, after all every drive
> has a physical "Eject" button (or are thre players that don't have such a
> button?). And when you eject the disk, you most likeley will go to the
> drive, anyway, to remove or exchange the disk. So I'd say there's no need
> for this.

mhh, the "Eject" function could actualy be more than "throw out that disc", it
could also mean "umount and spin down that HD", "detach/deactivate that USB
storage device", "prepare that IDE/SCSI device for hot swap", and so on.
Those are functions that will have to provided though external
script/programs, but it makes sense to be able to trigger them through vdr's
remote. That was also the reason for the eject menu mentioned above.

> > - Record (instant record, replace Menu/Red)
>
> Definitely not a "minimal required key", since there _is_ "Menu/Red".
> I will make it possible to configure the finction of the color keys
> in normal viewing mode, so you will be able to assign "Instant recording"
> to the "Red" button.

disputable, _every_ VCR in existence has a Record button.

> > - fast forward / cursor right
> > - fast rewind  / cursor left
> > - channel Up   / cursor up
> > - channel Down / cursor down
>
> Agreed, "Up/Down/Left/Right" are required.
>
> > Optional (but highly recommended):
> > - Skip forward
> > - Skip backward
> > - Jump
> >
> > Optinal:
> > - color keys
>
> I'd say the color keys _are_ required, since there are most likely a lot
> more RCs out there with these four colored keys than there are with
> "Play/Pause/...". Besides, the colored keys can be used a lot more
> versatile in the OSD menus by simply writing their functions into the
> bottom line of the menu.
>
> I believe the standard VDR remote control should have these keys:
>
> - Up, Down, Left, Right, Ok
> - Menu, Back
> - Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
> - 0...9
>
> Optional:
>
> - Volume+/-, Mute
> - Power

mhh, i do have my problems with using the color keys, however there are valid
reasons to usem them on certain remotes and reasons not to do so on others
(my remote has no colors, but plenty of ffwd, freeze, ... keys).

It would appear that my function key list does not interfer with yours, maybe
there is a sensible way to combine them.
There could be two minimal remote definitions, the current color key based and
an alternate function key based maping. Both having a minimal set of keys
with optinal additions. The _ultimate_ remote could then just have them all.

I was missing one or two keys from my initial list, i'll draw up a table (like
the one in vdr's manual) that compares both mappings.

> Actually these are the keys that are currently defined in VDR.
> We can well define a few more, like
>
> - Play, Pause, Forward, Rewind, Stop
> - Skip forward/back
> - etc...
>
> but their functions should always be also performed by one of the
> standard buttons.

Andreas

--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index