[vdr] Re: Minimum CPU for Mplayer realtime encoding

--------

My vdr box is a PIII 800EB (el-cheapo ECS motherboard) and it is working
perfectly (VDR + AIO, DVD, mplayer). I have two nexus-s so I can record
/replay without any problem whatsoever (DMA enabled). I can play mpeg 1 files
over my network
I don't even have a fan over the cpu , heatsink only and it is working without
any problem
The only thing that will trigger an automatic shutdown (CPU temperature over
60 degrees) is when I try to create a SVCD with tosvcd. Not even a kernel
recompile will cause a shutdown.
I do not use the on board sound card though, I only use the nexus-s spdif ....

Mattia

PS
My previous VDR box was a K6II@350 Mhz and I was able to record/MPEG2 streams
without problems. I did have problems with mplayer but at the time I was only
playing avi files over the network interface. The main reason for the upgrade
was HD size limited to 34GB and AT power supply (no automatic power on/off)

> Hello,
>
> after I found out with the help of this list, that my current cpu
> (PII/350) is too slow for realtime viewing of divx with mplayer and
> a dvb card rev. 1.3. I started some research.
>
> I found in the list archive, that an Athlon 1200 (old modell?) would
> do, but not totally perfect. I was thinking of getting a board with
> a 1GHz Celeron. I am not so sure if this is enough cpu power. On the
> other hand I only want to have as much cpu power that is actually needed
> as my machine is exclusivly for vdr.
>
> What cpu/board combinations are you using for such a task?
>
> CU
>
> Jens

Home | Main Index | Thread Index