[vdr] Re: Reference RC (was DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5)

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>I know about that patch to enable VDR to use lircd.conf.
>However, I'm not sure if this is the right way to go, because it
>would require people to still edit config files
>
>If we let VDR go through its "Learning remote control keys" procedure,
>all the user would have to do is to install LIRC, select his remote
>control type in the LIRC setup and start VDR. VDR would see that
>there is no keys-lirc.conf yet, so it would automatically enter the
>learning process and ask the user to press each key VDR knows about.
>I'll make it so that the user can skip keys that he doesn't want
>to define.
>
>The keys-lirc.conf file woul translate the LIRC key names to the
>VDR names (just as keys.conf does for the RCU codes, or keys-pc.conf
>does for the keyboard codes).
>
>Klaus

Please keep in mind that many lirc users have a configuration where one
physical remote button is used for several different programs.

For example in my setup the remote-button labelled "Play/Pause" does
a play/pause for xmms or mplayer or is vdr's red button or starts/quits
xawtv
depending on the lirc mode I have switched to.

The current unpatched vdr would now just detect a red button press
whenever it is pressed, so if for example I pause mplayer then at the
same time
vdr stops recording. To work around that I would have to assign keys
exclusively to vdr and have only a few left for the other programs using
lirc.

With just the learning procedure you describe these problems would
continue and working around them is imho more difficult than configuring
lirc.

Maybe a solution could be to check if the user has set up a $HOME/.lircrc
and then use it, but if it's not there simply assume vdr is the only program
listening to lircd and do what you describe above.

Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index