[vdr] Re: Announce dvdbackup and a new version of the DVD-Video burning Howto

Hello Dave,

(sorry forgot the subject line in the first message -
posting from the web since I don't have access to my
own workstation at the moment)

On Monday 29 July 2002 02:21, Dave Chapman wrote:
> I've been following your DVD authoring work on
various mailing lists - you
> seem to be making good progress on the second half
of the problem (burning
> authored DVD files to DVD).

Hmm, I actually determined that it was the first part
of the problem. If I couldn't verify that I could
create/burn a existing DVD-Video structure
successfully. Then there would be no way of verifying
that future DVD-Video authoring  programs created a
valid DVD-Video structure that would play in a stand
alone DVD player.

> Do you know of any projects which are working on the
first half of the
> problem - i.e. the creation of IFO and VOB files?
Are there any active
> mailing lists devoted to the development of Linux
DVD authoring software?

Nope there is none what I'm aware of beside my own
project. The creation/editing  of  IFO and VOB files
are actually the second  part of my project. I have
started to create a libifoedit that will be
responsible for creation and manipulation of IFO
files. In somewhat of a parallel effort I will also
create a libvobedit that will be responsible for
creation/editing vobfiles (creation will be from a
valid MPEG-1/2 stream).

I have setup a SF project called DVD-Create although
there isn't anything there yet. I will be back later
this week when I have setup the project page i.e.
fixed mailing lists, document pages, uploaded some
source code etc..

> The interest on this list (VDR) would be to take DVB
recordings which
> contain (I think) DVD-compliant MPEG-2 video and
MPEG-1 layer 2 audio (and
> sometimes AC3) and backing them up to DVD.

I have the same interest although from a TIVO source,
that's why I subscribed to this mailing list.

Cheers Olaf