[vdr] Re: Can't record MPEG1 ?

kmu@ratio.de(Karsten Müller)  30.07.02 13:07

>On Tuesday 30 July 2002 12:45, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> Karsten Mueller wrote:

>[...]

>>> I did NOT change neither DVD nor CD during the editing process, I
>>> did not even touch it...
>>
>> I also observed this once or twice, but have no explanation for
>> them. They don't come from VDR, though.

>As long as they appear to be harmless, I just don't care... I was just
>wondering a bit :)

>>> What the heck is this ? Of course VDR can't record MPEG1 and nobody
>>> wanted it to do so ...(?)
>>
>> Looks like you have a weak signal, so the data is somewhat distorted
>> and while scanning it, VDR "believes" it found an MPEG1 header.

>Hmm... If I replay the recordings from that particular time, they seem
>to be quite perfect... No artefacts at all, perfect sound, FF and REW
>fully functional without any problems...(?)

AFAIK it sufficent that one paket is broken to give that
message. You will not realize the error in a moving image,
because that are only a few (188?) bytes which are not updated
for a very short time.

Maybe your PC is having problems with memory, DMA and interrupts...

Do you use (short) UDMA cables and UDMA controlers?

Is it (under Linux) possible to readout the error/retransmit
counter in the IDE-Chip-set? (UDMA checks the data over the
IDE-cable for integrity)

@Klaus: Is it possible to detect missing pakets by the replay
software in the recording?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index