[vdr] Re: Can't record MPEG1 ?

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> kmu@ratio.de(Karsten Müller)  30.07.02 13:07

[...]

>>Hmm... If I replay the recordings from that particular time, they seem
>>to be quite perfect... No artefacts at all, perfect sound, FF and REW
>>fully functional without any problems...(?)
>

> AFAIK it sufficent that one paket is broken to give that
> message. You will not realize the error in a moving image,
> because that are only a few (188?) bytes which are not updated
> for a very short time.

It turned out that the results of the recordings were not as perfect
as I first thought. On normal replay there are both audio and
video glitches....

> Maybe your PC is having problems with memory, DMA and interrupts...

I don't think so, most of my recordings are still perfect (except
for these VDR restarts which get the more into account, the more
DVB cards one has in the VDR machine :( )

> Do you use (short) UDMA cables and UDMA controlers?

Yep, out of the box 80 pin UDMA cables with 120 GB Maxtor HDD.

> Is it (under Linux) possible to readout the error/retransmit
> counter in the IDE-Chip-set? (UDMA checks the data over the
> IDE-cable for integrity)

Good question, but I don't think its the DMA. I even have accomplished
successful recordings via NFS to my server...

> @Klaus: Is it possible to detect missing pakets by the replay
> software in the recording?

I fear this wouldn't be if much help... Maybe you could just give a
"better" error description in the logs ? (Are there any TV-Stations
transmitting an MPEG1 stream at all ?)

--
with best regards
---