[vdr] Re: Is a Network fast enough ?

Hi Axel,

are you sure you want the noise of 7 hard disks in your living room?

Why don't you build silent vdr machines with just one disk or no
disk at all and just one DVB-S card for the living room (and maybe
any other room where you want to watch TV) and do all the recording
at a central vdr with many disks and 4 DVB cards?

Regarding AMD CPUs: Yes, my VDR currently is a Duron 700.
I have it attached to a beamer with RGB inputs, so I can
run mplayer (for divx replay) directly off the graphics
card. Without divx via DVB-S a Duron 700 is more than
enough for VDR.

Carsten.

Axel Gruber wrote:

> Hi ML
>
> After a Hardware-Crash (Mainboard) i have to rebuild my VDR in my Living-Room completly new.
>
> At the Moment i use 2 VDR´s:
>
> 1 in the Livingroom: 4DVB-s CArd´s + 7 Harddrives
> 1 in the "Dachboden": 3 DVB-S Card´s + 10 Harddrives (with a RF-Transfmitter for Sleeping-Room and Working-Room)
>
> Now i think about to bann the Harddrives of the new Living-Room VDR in a small cheap "server"
> wich stay in the "dachboden" and only the 4 DVB-S card´s in the newVDR but i´m not sure
> if the Network ist fast enough to do 3 Recordings and 1 Reply at the same time.
>
> Does anyone have a  configuration like this,  wich works well ?
>
> Second Question:
>
> Does anyone use a AMD for his VDR ? i think about to use a 1,x Duron for this new VDR system - or shuld
> i use a Intel again ?
>
> Thirs Question:
>
> Does anyone use a DVD-R Device (ide) with a Firewire External Case + Linux - to burn DVD-R´s ?
>
> CU
>
> Axel
>
> PS: Network ist completly 100mbit full duplex and switched

  | Carsten Koch                  Phone: +49-4286-920001     |
  | ICEM Technologies GmbH          Fax: +49-4286-1608       |
  | Sotheler Mühlenweg 15        mailto:Carsten.Koch@icem.de |
  | 27404 Elsdorf-Hatzte, Germany  http://www.icem.com       |

Home | Main Index | Thread Index