[vdr] Re: Is a Network fast enough ?

Hi Axel,

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Axel Gruber wrote:
> Thirs Question:
> Does anyone use a DVD-R Device (ide) with a Firewire External Case + Linux
> - to burn DVD-Rīs ?
> 4. Question:
> Is Linux able to use USB2.0 (with a external Drive like HD, CD-ROM,....)???

Yes, Pioneer DVR-A04 and a combo-case USB-2.0 and Firewire with 3m cable
(soon with a USB2/Firewire hub between). No problems at all with supported
PCI-cards in the computer (see LinuxUser 08/2002).
You'll read more about this in the LinuxUser 10/2002, this will also cover the
software part (cdrecord-ProDVD needed).

USB 2.0 is implemented in Kernel 2.4.19, but you'll find it in SuSE 8.0 with
2.4.18 as well. I suggest to use Firewire or at least to buy a combo-case --
Firewire it's faster and more stable as my tests has shown.

Bye,
  _cooper_

P.S: The dual USB2.0/Firewire combo PCI card from Alternate (FPUA 02) is
currently *not* fully supported, there are problems with the storage driver
for Firewire.

 LinVDR - The Digital Linux Videorecorder               http://www.linvdr.org

Home | Main Index | Thread Index