[vdr] Do we need an external watchdog?

I wonder why it would be useful to have an external
watchdog, such as Karsten Müller has implemented it.

IIRC, vdr makes an alarm call in the main loop that
resets the system's alarm timer every time vdr gets
to that point.

Is there any way this method can fail?

Would we have to cover not only the vdr main loop
but also all threads - in case the main loop is
still working but a thread (for example a recording
thread) hangs?

I guess what I want to know are three things:

1) is the built-in function 100% bullet-proof?

2) If no, is Karsten's method 100% bullet-proof?

3) If no, is it at least an improvement?

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index