[vdr] Re: MP3/MPlayer plugin 0.7.2 available (plugindevelopment)

Dariush Forouher wrote:

> Am Fre, 2002-08-16 um 22.33 schrieb Stefan Huelswitt:
> > On 16 Aug 2002 Dariush Forouher <dariush@forouher.de> wrote:
> > > The VDR's osd and input isn't disabled while replaying mplayer, which
> > > conflicts then with mplayers lirc input functions. And if you exit
> >
> > There is nothing that can be done against this without patching
> > the VDR core. I think all MPlayer patches since ever had this
> > "feature".
> >
> > Please be aware that the MPlayer plugin is still a hack. The
> > player interface wasn't designed to hand out control to an extern
> > programm.
> Do you have such a patch right there or is it something deeper? Or is it
> somehow possible that the plugin could control mplayer? I've not enough
> buttons on my RC to give mplayer extra ones, so fixing this would be
> nice.

I have no personal experience with mplayer, but AFAIK mplayer is a standalone
application which replays various kinds of video formats, and the main reason
why people want to use it with VDR is to be able to replay DivX files from within
their usual environment (please correct me if I'm wrong).

VDR on the other hand is also a standalone application, which offers the user
a common interface to all sorts of things (remote control, recording, replaying
EPG,...). So I believe the proper way to add mplayer's functionality to a VDR
environment would be to just use those parts of the mplayer program that do
the actual DivX/MPEG conversion (or whatever other format conversions it provides)
and use that in a derived cPlayer class from VDR. That way the remote control
and OSD would remain fully in the VDR domain, and the user wouldn't have to worry
about different remote control layers or OSD problems. Besides: what if somebody
uses a completely different kind of remote control? AFAIK mplayer supports LIRC
and (maybe?) the PC keyboard, but surely not some home built RCU like I do.
If somebody would write a "wrapper" around the mplayer format conversion parts
that could be called from within a VDR cPlayer, that would IMHO help a lot.

Just my two cents...

Klaus