[vdr] Re: feature suggestion

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 19:29, Guido Fiala wrote:
> It happens that one watches live and does'nt think about recording when you
> see something intersting and you try to go back with the <cursor-left> until
> you realize it's live ;-)
>
> Don't know if this is new - but how about a in-memory "live" buffer of the
> actual watched stream. That way you can zap back if there was something
> interesting and watch it again.
> Additional it would be possible to start a recording including the buffered
> data or simply flush the buffer into a kind of "snapshot" - of course simply
> in native vdr format.

Hi,

I thought about this at some point when I was looking into STB-type
timeshifting. The problem was that in the current state of affairs, VDR
is not involved in handling the MPEG stream when viewing live (unless
you are using transfer mode for some reason, e.g. watching an encrypted
channel). So you would have to force VDR into transfer mode for all live
watching, buffer the stream, and handle instant replays. It mgiht not be
too much actual new code, but I'm not sure I want to "sacrifice" my
budget card for this feature (of course it should be configurable, and
maybe disabled automatically if a timer is triggered...).

About STB-type timeshifting: I hacked together functionality which would
start an instant recording, start replaying that recording, and switch
to pause mode immediately wheb pressing a single button (I added a
button to the config as well :-/). There were some timing issues, i.e if
the replay was started too soon, the recording file would be empty and
the replay would stop before it even started etc. I haven't done
anything to the code for over half a year now. Maybe I should look into
it again ;)

--
  ! Lauri

Home | Main Index | Thread Index