[vdr] Re: Doc on developer versions of VDR?

Eckard Brauer schrieb:

> Last week I tried to get vdr-1.0.4 running without luck. So I switched
> to the developer version 1.1.7 (now I have 1.1.8 since yesterday
> evening). It worked out of the box for me, the only change I did was
> to adjust the video directory path in a file (videodir.c:21:const char
> *VideoDirectory = "/video"; - the VIDEODIR variable in Makefile seems
> only to be used for installation).
>
> The problem is, that I don't have an idea on how to get TELETEXT
> access and DVD and MP3 playback working with that. The difference
> between 1.0.x and 1.1.x seems to be, that the latter one has a plugin
> interface, so this seems to be the right way to manage such things.
> OTOH, there seem to be some patches for what I intended against 1.0.x
> sources, but they don't apply to 1.1.x.

The development version is what it is: a development version ;-)
AFAIK the plugin interface works quite well, but I'm only aware of one
plugin working with that, the MP3-Plugin (correct me if I missed some).

If you want to access Teletext and DVD (and whatever), version 1.0.x is
more suitable for you, since the patches indeed only work with the 1.0
branch.
By the way, version 1.0 also works "out of the box", with the patches it
gets a little trickier though since you don't only need the patches
themselves but the libraries they need.

If you want to use many "extensions" at once (TELETEXT, DVD and so on)
it's a good idea to use the AIO patch, which you get at
http://www.linvdr.org/download/VDR-AIO/
AIO means "all in once", and a filename like vdr-1.0.4-AIO-14.08.diff.gz
<http://www.linvdr.org/download/VDR-AIO/vdr-1.0.4-AIO-14.08.diff.gz>
means that this patch is for VDR version 1.0.4 and has been built on
August 8th (there are several versions of the AIO, thus this methode to
distinguish the patches). In this context a "Vanilla" is a VDR
installtion with no patches (took me some weeks of reading here until I
realized this :D )

The AIO needs some additional libraries, but Hubertus Sandmann offers
some very nice instructions at
http://home.t-online.de/home/hubertus.sandmann/vdr.htm how to install
all of these (in German though).
With these instructions I was capable of installing a full featured VDR
in no time.

If you get any problems while compiling you should post these, together
with information of your system (use compiler, used distribution) and
the output of the compiler (at least the last few lines of the actual
error) here on the list, then we can help you :-)

Cheers
Thomas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index