[vdr] Re: vdr: Websites for Beginners??

> I think I understand. Are you saying that one can use the Nova-t *without*
> hardware decoding? If so, then I guess this would almost lead me back to my
> original enquiry - where do I go for advice on how to do this! (Although I
> would admit that such discussion might not best be held in a "vdr" forum!)

It should be somewhere in the VDR or DVB mailing list archives. Basically the
Nova-T will give you the transport stream (in which the video/audio streams
are), you use software to demux the stream (extract the audio/video you
want), and play that as a regular MPEG2 stream.

You can use a software-only solution (such as mplayer), or, if you have the
right hardware, use that instead (mplayer can use a hollywood+/dxr3 mpeg
decoder "dvd accelerator" card for hardware playback).

The trick is VDR integration, especially the OSD. I have no experience with
this, but it sounds like there is a plugin which will use a dxr3 for output,
including VDR OSD. That way the dxr3 is basically a full-featured card which
can not receive any channels, and the Nova-T is a budget card which can
receive channels but not play back.

You can then record one show while watching another recording (note,
recording, not a live feed since the tuner is occupied, unless the channel
happens to be on the same mux as the channel being recorded, then it would
work :)

£199 is quite pricey unfortunately. But full featured DVB-T's are rare. Might
be cheaper to get 2 Nova-T's and a dxr3 card, but like I said I can not vouch
for how well the dxr3 plugs in to a VDR setup - buyer beware :)

I am sure other people on this list can comment on such a setup.

Regards,
Dennis