[vdr] Re: A/V synchronisation

> > So when I patch the audio pts by lets say -250 ms I also
> have to delay
> > the transfer of that packet to the card by 250 ms.
> Otherwise I risk that the
> > firmware has a problem with buffering the data until it can
> be played.
> > But this would then be a static issue and I would not need
> to take care
> > of the fine adjustment because this would still be done by the card
> > firmware.
>
> You are right, that should work ok. It's probably best to
> discuss that
> with the driver/firmware developers, they should now more details.

I assume that the driver guys do not like to have it in the driver, because
of the required buffers. Also I think it belongs to the user application
to provide the data at the right time.

> > Am I correct with this assumption? This would of course
> invent a delay
> > buffer
> > for audio into vdr (and to make it flexible we would need
> to do it for video
> > also).
>
> Replay and transfer modes use ringbuffers anyway. You only
> have to split
> it into video and audio buffers. The play thread the needs to
> be smart
> about fetching from the right buffer depending on timestamp
> +/- delay. I
> did that in an old version of the DVD patch. It worked ok and
> the logic
> behind it is not that complex.

Ok, then it seems not so difficult to implement. Klaus, what do
you think about it ? Is this something for release 1.3 ? It would
also be usefull for SVCD playback.
Normaly I use Xine for playback and there it is possible to adjust
the A/V sync and I think it is very usefull.