[vdr] Re: burned DVB-s

On Friday 18 October 2002 13:28, you wrote:
> If I understand you correctly you connect both composite to vcr and video
> out to tv, right ?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough :) The tv is of a thus old vintage that it does
not have any kind of modern input (there's something resembling a DIN plug
which only supports mono audio :))

So I plug a SCART to the VCR, which then takes that signal and mixes it onto
the antenna signal so the TV can view the VCR channel as a regular cable
channel (for all it knows).

This SCART is a simple one (no RGB) with on the other end composite and audio
L+R connectors. I have previously connected an nvidia tv-out and soundcard to
this, and it worked perfectly.

I have connected a Hauppauge DVB-C composite out and audio out to this same
plug, and again it worked perfectly.

But with the Siemens, no go yet :( But the cable from the DVB-C is improvised
and I am using a cd-rom audio connector (very thin!).

> Now to the antenna cables:
> Actually you don't know if the shielding is grounded. It only represents
> the referece point for the AC-Signal. It is very well within the specs if
> there is a DC offset. The PC on the other hand is (supposed to be) grounded
> well via the power plug.
> Actually I once connected the antenna to a DVB-C that was not plugged into
> the PC and subsequently killed it.

Ouch!! I'll make sure I am really careful with this from now on! Sorry to hear
about your card!

> The other point I have yet to think about are ground loops. Just think
> about connecting the antenna to the vcr, the vcr to the tv, the tv to the
> antenna. If just one of the two (vcr or tv) pulls the shielding to ground
> you'll have quiet some DC-current going around your system.

It's almost like that. Antenna to VCR. VCR antenna forwarded to TV with VCR
channel mixed in.

I am using the Siemens pins 4+6+8+10, Audio Left, Audio Right, Ground, and
Video Out.

I am trying to get the original cables from Siemens or a shop that sells
Siemsens..

Cheers!
Dennis