[vdr] Re: vdr2divx suggestions ? (poll)

> > > I think no need for that, since mplayer/mencoder should not have
> > > problems with vdr files at all. And if there is a problem,  asking for
> > > fixing it in mplayer should be a lot faster than fixing it in
> > > pvastrumento. pvastrumento is only needed if you want to burn the mpeg2
> > > as it is as video-dvd, and here shouldn't be the goal oft vdr2divx.
> >
> > I don't agree in that point, i had certain recordings, where you could
> > see a small glitch in picture in VDR, and mencoder tended to
> > skip/duplicate several frames leading to a slowdown and jumping picture
> > at this point - however PVAstrumento fixed this 100% (i don't know how) -
> > so no picture was doubled/dropped and the scene was better than seeing
> > the pure recording in VDR :-)
> > Iknow this is rather a rare case, but if it appears, it's nice to have
> > PVAstruemnto !
>
> i have not did long term tests , didn't had such a case yet. There should
> be done a bugreport on mplayer with a exemple-file if anyone is able to do
> so.
This ain't a bug in mencoder - it's by design ! Mencoder is not deigned to
repair broken streams like PVAstruemnto is ! Mencoder just uses the PTS
information to maintain a/v sync - and it does a quite good job ! But it
cannot (and i guess never will) handle broken streams or streams with various
glitches !
Cutting a stream in VDR also creates "unclean" cutting points - resyncing is
needed here by the re-encoding application ! And PVAstrumento simply does the
better job !
As said before havent tried ds.jar yet!

Martin