[vdr] Re: "stand-by-recording"

>> why would someone want to spend 1-x gb of hd space for such a
feature.....
>> why not cache in RAM. that won.t stress the hd and imho gives enough
seconds
>> for "instant playback" and "pause". hd caching should start when the
"pause"
>> button is pressed, and then the cached RAM is written to hd, followed by
the
>> live stream....
>
> Disk space is cheap, RAM is expensive. I assume most VDR boxes have 256
> MB and less main memory and you need 500 KB per second to hold the data.
> Why should I spend 100 EUR extra for more main memory when the disk
> space is for free. And even if you use a disk file to store the data the
> ram is used for caching. The extra bandwidth necessary can be ignored.

hmmm. i think that most maschines have about 128mb of RAM. and the RAM
type most of these "old" machines use is PC100 or PC133 RAM which is quite
cheap. you get an additional 128mb for about 18.- euros. :) not to much
imho.

another thing you have to think about: no HD really likes 24h stress test.
:)
and that.s what you want to do. so better cache in RAM.

and how many seconds "cache" to you need? i think 20s would be enough. and
that is just 10mb. i guess everyone has that amount of spare memory for
a RAM disk. :)

regards,

Johannes Schoeller
<schoeller@gmx.at>