[vdr] Re: "stand-by-recording"

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Emil Naepflein wrote:
> Why should I spend 100 EUR extra for more main memory when the disk
> space is for free.
You're talking about writing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on a hard disk
without any pause. Not only that it would rise the power consumption, desktop
hard drives are just not designed for continuous writing, in most cases
they're not even specified to run 24/7. Only server hard disks (yes, they are
some expensive, even with IDE) are specified for this.

Probably we will have then hard disk failures earlier, so a lower MTBF.
I'll talk tomorrow to a technician of Western Digital to point out, how bad a
continously writing to a desktop hard drive really is and what we'll have to
expect. I'll write the summary here to the list.

Just to avoid the extra heating, power consumption (even a harddisk can
power down), additional noise and not to overstress the harddisk I would
really think of buying more RAM, let's say a Gig or more, for having 30
minutes recording buffer. Even with 512 MB you have room for approx. 15
minutes, with 256 MByte it's about 5 Minutes (leaving 64 MB free for the Linux
system).

Bye,
  _cooper_