[vdr] Audio & hardware question

Hi all,

I have a question to those of you using either the S/P-Dif
coax or the TOSLink (i.e. digtal) output of the DVB.

I am working on a few addons for VDR. My main problem at
the moment ist the audio volume. I haven't gotten around to
making a small PCB in order to use the digital sound & video
connectors on the DVB, so I am using the normal analog
3.5mm output connector on the rear of the card.

The sound volume is awfully low. I am running the DVB card
on an 8 channel (@170W p. c.) Denon amp. I have to turn up the
amp quite bit to get a suitable volume. If I use the same volume
setting for my other HiFi components, it would blow my ears
away ;o))

Controlling the volume thru VDR I noticed that any values
below ~~220-225 (range 0-255) pretty much equals absolute
silence. In other words: the useable volume range is between
220-255 for me.

I have noticed this "low output" effect on many PC cards that
have anything to do with sound output (same goes for my Onkyo
amp, so it's not a Denon specifical problem). I suppose card
manufacturers don't spec their cards to the 0dB /  775mV standard
of HiFi equipment. It wouldn't be a problem for me to change the
feedback resistor of the LM 386 on the DVB, to increase the drive,
but what I would like to know if the output via coax or optical digital
output (which is what I will be using anyway) of the DVB is louder
(properly spec'd via a voltage divider, of course) than the DVB's
analog outputs, before I experiment any further. Your experiences
with the analog output in terms of loudness would also interest me ,
of course. In what "VDR volume range" can you hear the output of
the DVB card (although I don't think my DVB card is defective).
And no, I am not deaf ;o)), it really is the low output of the DVB.

Greetz,
Reinhard