[vdr] Re: ARM crash when watching the same channel as recording

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Jörg Knitter wrote:
> > But I discovered one really reproduceable bug/feature. When I do
> > timeshift playback and press the BACK key ('Exit' on my remote)
> > that enables going up one menu or hiding the OSD, my VDR (1.1.15)
> > crashes and is being restarted.
>
> Is there an error message in the log file like
>
> Nov 15 16:28:51 video kernel: av71100: ARM crashed!
>
> when that happens? In that case it is probably the well known problem
> that the ARM crashes when the OSD is used during simultaneous
> record/replay.
>
> Too bad we don't have the firmware source, so there's nothing we can
> do to even try to find out what's wrong there... :-(

Yes, this is really sad. I would volunteer to dig into the source code
to find this bug. But as long as we cannot convince the involved
parties that they could sell more units, there is no chance.
(I would immediately buy two or three full-featured cards, if we could
make the driver stable. I think others would do the same.)

I already thought about writing a replacement firmware under GPL, but
there is simply not enough information about the hardware to do this.

Oliver