[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: vdr-stream-0.1.0

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sascha Volkenandt" <mailbot1@wat.willz.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 9:43 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: vdr-stream-0.1.0

> On Dienstag, 19. November 2002 20:51 Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > What about a multistream mode, which provides ALL channels as multicasts
> > after the following sheme:
> >
> > IP:(port+channel-number)
> >
> > e.g. 192.168.1.1:2006 when IP-adress is 192.168.1.1, port is 2000 and
RTL
> > is channel six.
> > or   192.168.1.1:6515 when IP-adress is 192.168.1.1, port is 6500 and
RTL
> > is channel fifteen.
> >
> > Of course, this would flood the network and block all
DVB-receiver-devices.

> > Because of this the plugin would have to listen whether clients are
> > connected to the ports and only start streaming by using the recording
> > function of VDR when there is at least one client. The recording
function
> > should be started with standard-priority -1 to prevent timers being
> > suppressed.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Good idea...
>
> Another thing first:
> Is there any way to run a "debug" vdr without any dvb cards, getting the
data
> from a file on hdd?

I don't think anyone has implemented a complete dummy in the DVB-driver ...

> I think the on-board network card of my vdr (or it's proprietary driver)
> cannot do multicast, and since I need the only PCI-Slot for the DVB, I
can't
> exchange the network card.

This can't be a lack of the onboard-NIC. Either you have a bad driver (try
to get a open one) or multicast hasn't been enabled in the kernel (check
that, especially if you have a custom kernel). I use RedHat 7.3/8.0 on my
machines which have enabled multicast by default.

You should also do a "ifconfig". In the line of the activated services there
has to be "MULTICAST" when it is enabled.

What chipset does your onboard-NIC use?

> But since I'm trying to debug multicast, but my vdr is not
multicast-capable,
> I'd like another possibility to test that on another machine without
buying a
> second DVB card. Maybe I could tunnel the data via TCP to a multicast-
> capable host? Anyone tried this?
>
> Any thoughts?

Before breaking your great implementation with such experiments you should
try to get multicast running.

> To the plugin:
> I'll start to implement further features this weekend, now that my
development
> platform is running again. There have been several requests on the ML
(I've
> made printouts of the earlier ones, thank god;) ), on which I'll start to
> work by then.
>

> Greetings,
> Sascha Volkenandt

Great!