[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: vdr-stream-0.1.0

On Dienstag, 19. November 2002 20:51 Rene Bartsch wrote:
> What about a multistream mode, which provides ALL channels as multicasts
> after the following sheme:
>
> IP:(port+channel-number)
>
> e.g. 192.168.1.1:2006 when IP-adress is 192.168.1.1, port is 2000 and RTL
> is channel six.
> or   192.168.1.1:6515 when IP-adress is 192.168.1.1, port is 6500 and RTL
> is channel fifteen.
>
> Of course, this would flood the network and block all DVB-receiver-devices.
>
> Because of this the plugin would have to listen whether clients are
> connected to the ports and only start streaming by using the recording
> function of VDR when there is at least one client. The recording function
> should be started with standard-priority -1 to prevent timers being
> suppressed.
>
> Comments?

Good idea...

Another thing first:
Is there any way to run a "debug" vdr without any dvb cards, getting the data
from a file on hdd?

I think the on-board network card of my vdr (or it's proprietary driver)
cannot do multicast, and since I need the only PCI-Slot for the DVB, I can't
exchange the network card.

But since I'm trying to debug multicast, but my vdr is not multicast-capable,
I'd like another possibility to test that on another machine without buying a
second DVB card. Maybe I could tunnel the data via TCP to a multicast-
capable host? Anyone tried this?

Any thoughts?

To the plugin:
I'll start to implement further features this weekend, now that my development
platform is running again. There have been several requests on the ML (I've
made printouts of the earlier ones, thank god;) ), on which I'll start to
work by then.

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt