[vdr] Re: Request: logging to seperate file

> Would it be ok if I changed the '-l' option in a way that, for instance,
>
>   vdr -l 3.7
>
> would set log level 3 and logging to LOG_LOCAL7? Default would still be
>
>   vdr -l 3
>
> which means log level 3 and LOG_USER. The number after the '.' could be
> 0..7, resulting in LOG_LOCAL0..LOG_LOCAL7.

That would be great.

BTW: To be really usefull to others, it should be documented in the FAQs
-- including decription how to modify /etc/syslog.conf.

I added (debian):

+ # vdr stuff
+ local7.*        /var/log/vdr.log

  #
  # Some `catch-all' logfiles.
  #
  *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
          auth,authpriv.none;\
          cron,daemon.none;\
+         local7.none;\
          mail,news.none          -/var/log/messages

the "local7.none" entry keeps vdr from filling up /var/log.messages

Klaus: Drop me a note, if you want me to write an according FAQ entry...

thanks, juergen

--
Juergen Schmidt   Leitender Redakteur/senior editor  c't magazin
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag,  Helstorferstr. 7,  D-30625 Hannover