[vdr] Re: Request: logging to seperate file

Juergen Schmidt wrote:

> > Would it be ok if I changed the '-l' option in a way that, for instance,
> >
> >   vdr -l 3.7
> >
> > would set log level 3 and logging to LOG_LOCAL7? Default would still be
> >
> >   vdr -l 3
> >
> > which means log level 3 and LOG_USER. The number after the '.' could be
> > 0..7, resulting in LOG_LOCAL0..LOG_LOCAL7.
>
> That would be great.
>
> BTW: To be really usefull to others, it should be documented in the FAQs
> -- including decription how to modify /etc/syslog.conf.
>
> I added (debian):
>
> + # vdr stuff
> + local7.*        /var/log/vdr.log
>
>   #
>   # Some `catch-all' logfiles.
>   #
>   *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
>           auth,authpriv.none;\
>           cron,daemon.none;\
> +         local7.none;\
>           mail,news.none          -/var/log/messages
>
> the "local7.none" entry keeps vdr from filling up /var/log.messages
>
> Klaus: Drop me a note, if you want me to write an according FAQ entry...
>
> thanks, juergen

I guess somebody who uses this new '-l' option feature will also know
what has to be done to get the logging messages to the desired place.
So this may be to specific to be part of the VDR INSTALL file (especially
because it may vary between different Linux distributions), but putting
it into some FAQ might be a good idea.

Klaus