[vdr] Re: Is that Hauppauge DVB-s rev 1.3 compatible?

You cannot control the volume of the DVB-SPDIF output, but if you route the
data stream over your SB, the DSP on the SB card does this job for you.

The ALSA mixer also mixes the DVB-SPDIF signal with other signals (for
example from the vdr MP3-player or mplayer plugin).

The reason for me why I did it like this was, that I cannot control the
volume of my amplifier by remote control, so the only solution was to change
the volume of the digital data stream with the DSP.

With this solution, I have full digital signal processing for all audio
signals, up to the amplifier. There are no unnecessary DA/AD conversion
involved (and you hear that). The D/A converter on the DVB card is of very
low quality.

It works also for AC3 playback. But in this case you cannot control the
volume of the audio with the ALSA mixer, because it is a complex coded
signal and it would be necessary to decode an reencode it to control the
volume. This is also the reason why the SB card cannot mix PCM and AC3
audio, it switches off all PCM audio and just forwards the AC3 stream to
your DD-decoder.

Ralf.