[vdr] Re: Serial port CAM, why not?

"Bläser, Lars" <LBlaeser@hofheim.de> wrote:

> > > THAT IS the problem with it (and the sc), it violates the
> > > copyright/patents of companys like "Irdeto Access", guess why a
> > > Iredeto-CI module costs 160 Euro, its not because of the
> > > hardware, you even pay for a "software" product

> > software patents are _illegal_ (not possible) in most, if not all,
> > european counties. copyrights are violated if you copy software for
> > non backup purposes. IMHO, useing "any" kind of cam is only
> > illegal, if you are not subscribed to the service you receive.

> as softcam or as firmware for the magic module its still usese
> patented algorithems and copyrighted code(dont get me wrong i would
> like to see the sc or mm leagal and official usable)

do not confuse patented and copyrighted. there is no such thing as
a patented algorithm in europe, for now. organisations like FSF are
fighting against softwarepatents in europe for good reasons.
(look at bobble sort algo, witch is patented in US.)

when saying:

> > IMHO, useing "any" kind of cam is only
> > illegal, if you are not subscribed to the service you receive.

i may not have used the term "illegal" though, as there might be other
reasons, for not to be allowed to use some kinds of cams, besides
patents. i meant, moraly it is ok to use any kind of cam - for
subscribers. IMHO, of course!

best regards ...
clemens