[vdr] Re: DVB-C and VDR 1.1.20 // Is zapping really faster???

Alexander Damhuis wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was just playing around with the 1.1.20 as I found the time today to do some
> installationwork. Here's what I exprienced:
>
> Basic configuration:
>
> SuSE 8.1, Kernel 2.4.19
> DVB Snapshot from 15.12.2002
> VDR 1.1.20
> LIRC
>
> Installation of the driver was no problem at all, nor compilation of VDR
> 1.1.20. It started with the awaited prompt ro configure the keyboardmapping,
> though I compiled with NO_KBD=1 - but hey, I don't care!

Are you sure you did a 'make clean' before that? Maybe your vdr.o file was from
a build _without_ NO_KBD=1.

> But, when it comes
> to zapping through the channels, I felt it became a lot slower (maybe because
> of the extra thread?). A look at top showed, that VDR takes 50% resources for
> 1-10 secs, then the channel is viewable and the CPU-load is back to 2-6%.
> There seems to be no rules for that, just from time to time... It also takes
> a lot more time to switch to specific channels by using the number (entering
> it via remote), normally (version 1.1.14 e.g.) screen turns black and is 1-3
> secs later back on the right channel showing the EPG, now it holds on the old
> channel a while, switches black and needs up to 10 secs to tune the selected
> channel.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? I really cannot say if it is the DVB
> driver or VDR ...

Here on my system (DVB-S rev 1.3) switching channels works really fast.
So I would assume that there is an other problem on your system.
Are you using DiSEqC?

Klaus