[vdr] Re: problem with longer antenna cable

Gerhard Steiner wrote:
> Hello,
> I moved my vdr-machine (UPC Telekabel digital) 4 m, so I had
> to use a longer antenna cable.
> Now there are heavy distortions (sound and picture) on
> several cable channels (RTL, ARD, BR) and some distortions
> on many other.
>
> What can I do?
> A normal (30 EUR) antenna amplifier does not help.
> Do I need a special amplifier or a special antenna cable?
> Does anyone know a solution for this?

In many situations, antenna amplifiers do not help, because
they amplify not only the payload, but also the noise. They
also add noise of their own and they may clip the payload if
payload*gain > max output level.

Fore a mere 4m, you definitely do not need an amplifier.

* Invest the money saved into the best cable you can get.
* use one long run of cable rather than several shorter
   ones. Every connection will dampen the signal.

I have helped out a neighbour last week. He could not watch
TV because of snow on the trees in front of his dish. So I
extended one of my Sat cables, which already is ~30m long
with another ~30m piece. That's 60m of Sat cable out of two
pieces. His picture was better than ever! That's because I
always buy the best (not the most expensive, but the lowest
dampening and lowest capacity) Sat cable I can get.

In summary, I transported a 2GHz Sat IF signal over 60m without
any amplifiers. With the same quality of cable, your 0.5 GHz
cable TV signal should run several 100 meters.

Carsten.