[vdr] AW: Re: cropping videos?

> Von: Gavin Hamill [mailto:gdh@acentral.co.uk]
> Gesendet am: Freitag, 10. Januar 2003 13:13
> An: vdr@linuxtv.org
> Betreff: [vdr] Re: cropping videos?
>
> On Friday 10 January 2003 10:06 am, Wolfgang Fritz wrote:
> > Harald Milz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > is there a way or a tool to crop rectangular areas from a
> .vdr file?
> >
> > mplayer -vop crop[=w:h:x:y] (from man mplayer, not tested)
>
> I'm guessing Harald meant cropping it permanently from the
> MPEG2 .vdr file,
> and saving the resulting crop back into the file...
>
> In which case, you'll need to re-encode the whole file as
> MPEG2 again - not a
> speedy process at the best of times...
>
> Either that or perhaps the full-features cards support
> inserting a black
> border?

just have a look at the mail from Reinhard Walter Buchner
"[vdr] Release will be in a few days"

he says:

"- Increased number of screen formats available
  additonally now: Center Cut Out, PanScan, Letterbox

These will ONLY work if the stream supports it
(just like the 4:3 and 16:9 switches) A lot of PW
films support these new modes.
Of course the NEW screen formats also work with
the DVD plugin"