[vdr] AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: cDevice plugin API

Yes, i know. But he gets a unusable (for a unexperienced user) sytem as
before. It is real complicated to get it working as expected. My thoughts
were to simplify this. When you compiled vdr the hundreth time you can say
you to vdr...:-)

> > A big advantage of putting it together would be a typical
> environment for
> > every user. Look at this mailinglist. Nobody ever asks of where to store
> > channels.conf and how it should look like, but if it comes to
> mount.sh or
> > mplayer.sh, there are so many circumstances that "light" users often are
> > very confused by all possibilities.
> > It is very clear to me, that in the moment, where things are
> changing every
> > second day (dvb, vdr, mplayer) no one has a real chance to do
> this, but i
> > think, it would be a good conclusion in the near future, to
> build a "stable"
> > release with enhanced _basic_ features.
> This is what i see compleatly different. But no problem. I also
> think that this has
> to be discussed because i think that is one of the biggest
> misunderstandings between
> pro's and beginners.

Only a meaning from me. I didnt thought, that so many people use (or want
to) a standalone dvd anymore or do not want mp3 in their vdr. It is so clear
to me that i want a all-in-one-multimedia-box, that i thought, everbody
would too.

> And what if you have already a good DVD-Player which also plays (S)VCD and
> MP3? :-)
> countless demands i think....

Personally, i dont want to use a standalone dvd anymore if it will work
flawless in vdr in the future.

> Ok, you wrote that you are using Gentoo. Why that? Because it
> compiles for
> every system a highly optimised system? :-)

No, thats not really true for me. I like, that i have only services up and
running i am aware of and not tons of crappy shitload i never use and need.
If i had the time, i would choose lfs, but i cant spend the time and so
gentoo is my choice for a perfectly configured minimalized os. Only my
personal opinion. But we do not want to compare a os instalaltion with a
vdr? I thought, that there is a disharmony between installing a vdr with
many plugins and installing X and KDE...:-) X and KDE compiled 30 hours and
was confgured in 10 minutes. VDR with mencoder compiled in 30 minutes and
needed 10 hours for confguration....:-))) Ok, thats not really true but you
know what i mean.

 Do you know how much different
> hardware incompatible systems there are possible, how much
> different kernel and so on?
> Or systems on which you could not compile Gentoo like on my P@233MHz.

I dont want to suggest a bootable cd with os and vdr and all stuff that you
only have to boot, click twice and vdr is running. The os should be
installed before..:-)

> I'm really shure that you have the same thoughts i had as i
> startet fiddeling
> around with vdr and linux. The entry level for beginners is
> really high.

And it gets extremely high, if you want to watch divx on your dvb-s.

 As a
> starter you have to understand the linux way to handle things and
> as that is not
> enough you have also to do the same things hundreds of users have done
> before the same way the others have done.

As i said, i didnt want to suggest a complete solution with os installation.
Only some essential (for me) functions in vdr. And this should make things
not to complicated for the maintainer.

> scripts :-) is simply that it is not possible to handle all
> possibilitys in one hand
> and my experience is also that not much users are willing to help
> to make the
> scripts better.

I believe that.

> This is why i made the decision to put together a monolithic
> package which includes
> a known distro with a well known and stable vdr including the
> needed packages
> for mp3, (s)vcd and dvd. Not less and not more. VDR 1.1.20 is
> possible and works
> really stable on my patched testsystem.

That is ok for me and i think, many will benefit from that.

> You are invited to try and to expand this system if you like. :-)
> If so, send me please a PM.

Thanks. I'm happy that mencoder does what he does...:-)))
NTARS, you know.

> P.S. I'm not trying to offend you.

??? That was fully clear to me. But whom should i tell what i want in vdr.
My mother and my dog aren't really much interested in this so i decided to
use the mailinglist. I can accept the way it goes for now because there are
much more things to do right now. I didn't except, my wishes would become
true tomorrow ( and after Klaus' posting i think they never will be...:-))).

I know the big gap between Pro
> and Newbee
> but i don't have a universal solution for this. I'm really happy
> that klaus is doing
> it now the modular way so that he can focus his force on the core of vdr.

10 times better than the patching way. For sure. But I DO BELIEVE RIGHT NOW,
that if someday, when we have a wonderfull, non enhancable plugin that
EVERYBODY wants and that is TOTALLY BUGFREE under ALL circumstances, it
should be built in the vanilla vdr (yes, i know, we don't live forever).

> I think this is the main reason i'm against the monolithic way. :-D

I'm against the patching way too. Ok, by.

Gruss

Stephan