[vdr] Re: schedule channel change

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:41:23AM +0100, Robert Simons wrote:

Ulrich Petri wrote:

Robert R. Simons wrote:

First: The idea is great, i missed such a feature for some time.

So let us hope I find some time this weekend (or someone else takes up the work).

Why not introduce just a new field?
For "old" timers this would be inside the summary field. If you use a clearly defined format, like one number followed by a ":", (how many summaries beginning with a number, followed by a ":" are out there?) and you even could input these new timers using old software (just manipulate summary info).

Another idea is, to use special file names in the file field.
As in this field the "target" of the timer is defined, the
target "@@notafile" "@@eitscan" etc. could signal special timers.
is "@@" a good prefix for that?

This has the benefit, that you only have to handle this special feature,
when actually acting on this timer in vdr (and you may not have series starting with "@@").

Imho this only patchwork leading to user confusion.
The imho best(tm) soultion would be to add a type field to the timers.
There have been countless changes in the conf files lately.
So why not do it "right" from the beginning?

Cu Ulrich

"Misusing" the file field, has the real great benefit, of not having to change the interface.
You only have to reserve some specia names (better: prefixes) for special types.

If I implement my first suggestion (introduce new field before summary) I have to rewrite
all the handlings of parsing/saving timers, so it will understand both formats correctly, and
the need to avoid special characters in series name/summary still exists.

If you suggest to really rework the timers format....

Oh I just thought of a possibility:
New format with first field consisting of one letter
R recording
C channel switch
S scan
This should be easily detectable by vdr :-)
It just would mean vdradmin/master-timer etc. would have to implement
the new format to use it.

I think i like it.

I haven an even better(tm) suggestion.

For a Channel-Switch and Scan-Timer the stop-time isn't needed. So
instead instead of the stop-time we could put a "C" for
channel-switching and a E/S for Eit-Scan timer there.

I do not like it, because: at least for the Channel-Switch i would like to define a time,
when the channel will be _available_ , typically the whole time of some program.
This would give vdr a hint not to shutdown during this time for example.
Also, I do not know what types of timers other people might come up with
and because of that would like to retain the full functionality of the timers.

And these timers would still be unreadable for old programs (what happens
if master-timer/vdradmin do not get a stop time, what if they can't even read the status (first field)?)

Gruss Robert