[vdr] Re: schedule channel change

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:29:43AM +0100, Robert Simons wrote:

> >I haven an even better(tm) suggestion.
> >
> >For a Channel-Switch and Scan-Timer the stop-time isn't needed. So
> >instead instead of the stop-time we could put a "C" for
> >channel-switching and a E/S for Eit-Scan timer there.
> >

> I do not like it, because: at least for the Channel-Switch i would like
> to define a time,
> when the channel will be _available_ , typically the whole time of some
> program.
> This would give vdr a hint not to shutdown during this time for example.
> Also, I do not know what types of timers other people might come up with
> and because of that would like to retain the full functionality of the
> timers.

You could prefix the stop-time.

> And these timers would still be unreadable for old programs (what happens
> if master-timer/vdradmin do not get a stop time.

Hmmm. This could be a problem.

> what if they can't even read the status (first field)?)

(Old-)Master-Timers wouldn't have a problem reading the values. But
would genereate "false" timers because it's IDs are linear and because
of this would put values in the first bits.

I think the most backward-compatibel(tm) would be the variant with
prefixing the filename.

<Filename>
C:<Filename>
or