[vdr] Re: schedule channel change

Andreas Henden wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is it possible too schedule a channel change and not record it. Some
> times I start to watch a show and I forget that I'm sitting and waiting
> on another show that is going on another channel.
>
> Another thing that follows is maybe you could have a file with program
> titles you like. So when a program start let us say seinfeld or
> something start you get a message on the screen. "Seinfeld on channel
> ....." And then you could press OK or something to change to that
> channel.
>
> Does anyone have the skills and the time to program a plugin for that?

I've been following this thread and its various suggestions.
From where I stand I'd say that such a "special" timer would be best
implemented by setting start time equal to stop time (which means this
is a "zero length" timer and thus shall not result in any recording).
If a timer is identified as "special", its function will be determined
by the text in the "filename" field. That has the benefit that the user
can see directly in the Timers menu what the individual "special" timers
will do, and all existing tools will also be able to handle this. The only
change that might be necessary is that a timer with start==stop time will
have to be handled as "not recording" instead of "recording 24 hours".

As for the function encoding: we don't need to start the filename with "@@"
or so, since it is already clear that this is a "special" timer (start==stop).
The first character of the filename should encode the special function, like

  @   switch to the channel given in the timer
  *   start an EPG scan

If the second character is a question mark (?), this means that the user
shall be prompted, and only if he pressed Ok shall the given function be
executed.

Any text following these characters can be used in the user prompt.

Klaus