[vdr] Re: cDevice plugin API

* Ulrich Petri <ulope@gmx.de> [030115 20:05]:
> Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > Plus, don't forget that the above "plugins" might improve the
> > number of
> > shared libraries containing possibly-patented algorithms, that a
> > monolithic vdr would need to link against.

> There is no such thing as a "patented algorithm".

Right now and here, you are right. BUT: Some US companies might
think pretty different about this. And the EU is discussing about
this topic, which, in their current control mood, might evolve in
a way no software engineer really wants.
Besides the fact that we might walk on thin ice while not taking
care of this development, it should be clear from the vdr code, that
even if authorities plan to go wild on this, it will not touch
projects like vdr.
Efforts like the MP3 hazzle will finally only make these algorithms
to become extinct and to be replaced by better, free and open source
algorithms.

  Stefan

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense.                      -- E. W. Dijkstra