[vdr] Re: LIRCd+serial and kernel panics

Richard Walker wrote:
Hi all,

I know this isn't strictly VDR, but it's my VDR system that the problem is
affecting! :-)

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 3 (woody) and Linux 2.4.20 (stock). I have the
CVS DVB drivers supporting my Nova-t, the Dxr3 drivers supporting my Dxr3,
and VDR 1.1.21 working. I built LIRC from CVS, and this works with the
serial port receiver I bought from zapway.de

However, lately, I've been getting kernel panics. In fact, lots of them. I thought LIRCd was causing them, but now I realise that it's the serial
driver that came with LIRC.
I have a similar setup: SuSE 8.0 with stock kernel 2.4.20. I am using lirc-0.6.6 with a homemade serial receiver (schematic from www.lirc.org) and the lirc_serial kernel module. This is working without problems up to now.

Has anyone come across anything like this before?  Could be be 2.4.20 that
disagrees with LIRC?  Might my long serial cable (12m!) be a problem?

Maybe the lirc from CVS has a bug? You could try lirc-0.6.6 which works for me.

The lirc_serial driver seems to generate an interrupt for every signal change on the serial line. Maybe it is possible to "overflow" the kernel or the lirc_serial module with interrupts which then causes a kernel panic. That could happen if the long cable distorts the signal or picks up a lot of noise, but I think in that case lirc would not work at all.

Did you try disable the "normal" serial driver with
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
if it is compiled into the kernel?

Wolfgang