[vdr] AW: How to get the VDR box silent

> Von: Ondrej Wisniewski [mailto:ondrej.wisniewski@eri.ericsson.se]
> Gesendet am: Montag, 20. Januar 2003 09:49
> An: vdr@linuxtv.org
> Betreff: [vdr] How to get the VDR box silent
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I will be starting to assemble a VDR box soon, but in order
> to install it in the
> living room it should be quite silent (this would also help a
> lot to convince my
> wife of this project (-; ).
>
> I think that the only really noisy parts of the box will be
> the cooling fans of
> the power supply unit

swaped the original with a papst fan (reduced to 7V) - that could be dangerous because it depends from the powersupply how much airfolw is realy needed - don´t blame anyone if your computer (and livingroom) is going up in smoke

> and the main processor. Now I read in a
> recent issue of
> the CHIP magazin that you could use a PIII 1.2GHz without fan
> if underclocked to
> 600MHz. Unfortunatly this seems quite a waste of processor
> power (which you pay
> for of course).

in my system a Slot 1.1GHz Celeron is cooled with a standing 8cm fan (papst, reduced to 7V)

all together in my system i hit a point where the heat is not to high and all is working properly, i tryed a 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celerun but it pruduced more heat than the 1.1 and the temerature inside the case got to high

> Does anyone know of a less expensive CPU that will run
> without active cooling ?

Ezra 600 (VIA), but does not have enough power for mplayer (divx decoding and mpeg encoding)

> How did you deal with the noise problem ?

reducing even quite fans to 9 or 7 V

there a lot more solutions, heatepipes, watercolling, ...
if it would not be so expensive i would like to try the new shuttle barebone´s with CPU-heatepipe and 2 pci slots (maybe they are to noisy or not capable of dealing with the heat of 2 DVB-s cards

the best concept would be to have a small vdr-client (only a small cpu and a dxr3 for decoding) and a vdr-server somewhere else

> I wonder why commercial sat receivers (like the DreamBox
> running on Linux
> http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/cat_eng/produkte/dreambox.ph
> p4) don't have the
> cooling problem ? They have a Main processor and power supply as well.

better concept for passive cooling (ie openings at the top to get konvection) and a 250 MHz PPC processor, maybe high temp specified chips