[vdr] Re: AW: How to get the VDR box silent

Does anyone know of a less expensive CPU that will run without active cooling ?

Ezra 600 (VIA), but does not have enough power for mplayer (divx decoding and mpeg encoding)

I'd also prefer VIA Cpus - I'm using a VIA C3 933 underclocked to 700 Mhz and the heatsink never comes above 40 degrees.
But there are many differences between the so called VIA C3 CPU's.
There are Cyrix3 CPU's with 0.18 technology, Samuel 2 with 0.15 and EZRA with 0.13.

Very often you get the wrong informations when buying a VIA CPU. AFAIK EZRA CPUs are starting at 733 Mhz.
To be sure to get one, you have to take a look at it or take one > 800 Mhz.