[vdr] AW: Re: AC3 over Soundcard (live and replay) (Was: AC3 5.1 - can someone "fix"

Hallo Werner,

> >> I Connected the Optical Out from the Soundcard with the Reciver (Sony
> >> STR-DB870QS) and the Analog Output of DVB-S also with the reciever.
>
> You may route the S/P-DIF of pin on J2 of your DVB-S Rev. 1.3 to the
> S/P-DIF in of your CMI8738.  Together with mute.sh you should be able
> to route normal PCM from the DVB-S card to your STR-DB870QS.

I would really like to do that :) I tried that some time ago and did not get
it working. On www.alsa-project.org my soundcard is listed with Optical
only - so maybee the driver does not work with my card !?
(Maybee it works with rc7 - just saw that they have released that)

What Card do you have ?
Same problem as prbably many others - I did not know what cards work and
4xsound/6xsound are very hard to get so I tried another. If I new what Card
would work I would buy one of them ;)

I just found a card from trust http://www.evendi.de/kompon/22/21278.html
which is listed on www.alsa-project.org as working - has anybody tried that
card ?

What also would interest me is what Mixer controls you have got when doing
"amixer controls|grep IEC958"
And what lines do you have in your modules.conf ?

In you mute.sh I see that you have an "IEC958 Output Switch" - I don't
remeber seeing this on my card.
What i don't understand is that you set "IEC958 loop" on (unmute !?) - as
far as I remember that caused no SPDIF sound at all when I tried that ?

I am really not sure which controls I have to use to get this working !?
What controls are for the Optical and what is for Digital-Coax ?

Lots of Questions ;)

> >> I had a little trouble getting the plugin running - but that was sort
> >of a
> >> RTFM ;) - just that no one else has to go through the same
>
> Hey ... as just mentioned in PROBLEMS you could patch the alsa lib or
> do the one line change:
> --- plugin.c
> +++ plugin.c    Fri Jan 17 11:52:06 2003

As I said RTFM ;)
Yes, I read that before starting, but I like to know what goes wrong before
I go around and patch "everything" ;)

> >> A couple of times I had no Sound at all on non AC3 channels
> Hmmm ... looks like the VDR mute overall. Do you use the mute.sh script?

No.

> ... or maybe thats because I'm using digital audio only.  You could try
> to comment out the line with Audios.MuteAudio(mute) in cDevice::Play:
>
> void cDevice::Play(void)
> {
> //  Audios.MuteAudio(mute);      // Play Audio if not mute
> }
>
> in device.c.

I'll try that.

Greetings