[vdr] Re: AW: Re: AC3 over Soundcard (live and replay) (Was: AC3 5.1 - can someone "fix"

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:23:31PM +0100, Christian Jacobsen wrote:

> What Card do you have ?

OnBoard 4xsound C-Media PCI CMI8738 Model 033, there is a 2x8 pin connector
block with pin 3 empty:

  Left AUX in     1  2   Right AUX in
  Empty           3  4   Ground
  S/P-DIF in      5  6   Ground
  S/P-DIF out     7  8   Ground

I suppose you've an extension board is connected to this block,
some extension boards have a jumper for getting internal
S/P-DIF in from a further 2pin connector instead from the external
optical/coax plugs of the extension board.

> Same problem as prbably many others - I did not know what cards work and
> 4xsound/6xsound are very hard to get so I tried another. If I new what Card
> would work I would buy one of them ;)
>
> I just found a card from trust http://www.evendi.de/kompon/22/21278.html
> which is listed on www.alsa-project.org as working - has anybody tried that
> card ?
>
> What also would interest me is what Mixer controls you have got when doing
> "amixer controls|grep IEC958"
> And what lines do you have in your modules.conf ?
>
> In you mute.sh I see that you have an "IEC958 Output Switch" - I don't
> remeber seeing this on my card.
> What i don't understand is that you set "IEC958 loop" on (unmute !?) - as
> far as I remember that caused no SPDIF sound at all when I tried that ?

If "IEC958 loop" is on the card expect data from S/P-DIF in and therefore
the S/P-DIF out is active which may be noticed by your Sony and it switches
automatically to digital (silence) PCM.

> I am really not sure which controls I have to use to get this working !?
> What controls are for the Optical and what is for Digital-Coax ?
>
> Lots of Questions ;)

Try out

     alsamixer

on console to get familiar with your sound card.

        Werner