[vdr] Re: AC3 over Soundcard (live and replay) (Was: AC3 5.1 - can someon

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:59:06PM +0100, Christian Jacobsen wrote:

> > OnBoard 4xsound C-Media PCI CMI8738 Model 033, there is a 2x8 pin
> > connector
> > block with pin 3 empty:
> >
> >   Left AUX in     1  2   Right AUX in
> >   Empty           3  4   Ground
> >   S/P-DIF in      5  6   Ground
> >   S/P-DIF out     7  8   Ground
>
> So I presume that you connect pin 7 to the coax SPDIF in on you reciver or
> you have built an Optical module. And J2-pin4 of the DVB-s is connected to
> pin5 - right ?

I'm using the 2pin connector of the extension board together with
a rotary switch to connect the DVB J2-pin4 or the CDROM or DVD or
the external in pin of the extension board its self to the S/P-DIF
in of the extension board.

> > I suppose you've an extension board is connected to this block,
> > some extension boards have a jumper for getting internal
> > S/P-DIF in from a further 2pin connector instead from the external
> > optical/coax plugs of the extension board.
>
> That's exactly what I have got :)
>
> >> What i don't understand is that you set "IEC958 loop" on (unmute !?) -
> >as
> >> far as I remember that caused no SPDIF sound at all when I tried that ?
> >
> > If "IEC958 loop" is on the card expect data from S/P-DIF in and therefore
> > the S/P-DIF out is active which may be noticed by your Sony and it
> switches
> > automatically to digital (silence) PCM.
>
> Yes that's right, I remember that my Sony switched over to Digital.
>
> So if I understand this right, "loop" means :
> take the signal from SPDIF in and send it to SPDIF out ?
>
> If that is so, that might be the information that I have been searching for
> :))
>

> >> In you mute.sh I see that you have an "IEC958 Output Switch" - I don't
> >> remeber seeing this on my card.
> >>
> >> I am really not sure which controls I have to use to get this working !?
> >> What controls are for the Optical and what is for Digital-Coax ?
> >
> > Try out
> >    alsamixer
> > on console to get familiar with your sound card.
>
> I have spent quite some time "together" with alsamixer - but never got it
> working :(
>

> What alsa-Driver/lib/util/tools version are you using ?

several 0.9.0 cvs versions

> What (SuSE) linux Version ?

from 7.3 upto 8.1.

> Here below is the output of "amixer controls" and as I said there is no
> "IEC958 Output Switch" :(
>
> Is 'IEC958 In Select' or 'IEC958 In Valid' the same as "IEC958 Output
> Switch"?
>
> Would be nice if you could give me a tipp :))

The tipp(s) can be found in

    /usr/share/doc/packages/alsa/alsa-driver/CMIPCI.txt

or

    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/alsa/CMIPCI.txt

;^)

         Werner