[vdr] replay problems (was: Re: Re: Problems with new plugin VDR)

--On Sonntag, 2. Februar 2003 17:14 +0100 Henning Holtschneider <hh@holtschneider.com> wrote:

- When replaying a recording, VDR very often hangs after FFW 1 minute
with the yellow key. I have to FFW again, than it is OK.
I've got serious replay problems with VDR 1.1.20 when a recording is
running on the second card (dropouts, a/v out of sync, no fast
forward/backward possible). Please see the message "replay hickups when
recording on second interface" I wrote to the list last week for details
(http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/vdr/2003/01-2003/msg00932.html).

With the modified file reader class of the latest VDR 1.1.22, the problem
occours less frequently. I'm currently recording a show with VDR 1.1.22
so I will see if the problem is gone completely when replaying a file
that was recorded with the latest version of VDR.
I've now tried to replay a recording recorded with VDR 1.1.22 while a timer was active and it worked without distortions! That's the good part ;-)

However, I'm having serious problems during fast forward/backward or if I use the yellow and green "jump" buttons: during these operations, the picture and sound will freeze most of the time. For example, if I try to jump forward one minute, the playback will freeze and I have to jump back or further forward to resume the replay. Sometimes, even that does not bring back the normal replay and I have to interrupt and restart the replay. This problem is not limited to situations when a recording is running on the second device!

I think this is some kind of buffer problem. I've got multi-speed replay enabled. If I go into fast forward mode and switch right to step 3, the replay will hang. If I switch to step one, wait 5-10 seconds, then switch to mode 2, wait, switch to mode 3, it works most of the time.

The machine is a Pentium II running at 300 MHz with a IDE hard drive running on an on-board UDMA-33 controller. The /video partition uses XFS. I've never had these load problems(?) with VDR 1.0.4. Any suggestions?

Regards,
hh