[vdr] Multiple disks or EVMS/RAID/etc. (was: vdr Verhalten bei /video0 /video1 ...)

> tobias.meyer-janson@sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de (Tobias Meyer-Janson)
> wrote:

> > recording
> >     ../test = /video0/test & /video1/test
> > cutting something of it to
> >     ../%test = /video0/%test & /video1/%test
> > renaming %test on the primary device to test2
> >     ../test2 = /video0/test2 & /video1/%test
> > all works fine so far.
> > cutting some other parts of test results in
> >     ../%test = /video0/%test & /video1/%test
> > At this time I think the /video1-part of test2 got lost.
>
> What did you expect when you do such strange things?

Strange? How do you rename recordings? How do you split recordings? Just
how do you organize your videothek?
In the example above I only renamed one recording manually. The rest was
done by vdr. When I started to use vdr I was told to do so to organize
my recordings and it worked good. I assume, now with multiple disks this
is a nono?

> In your case you have to rename both the primary and the secondary
> directories and recreate the symbolic links for the ???.vdr files in the
> primary.

That's a lot of work for one renaming/moving - and there are several. I
think it would be much easier to use LVM or something like that, though
I have no idea, yet, how that works.

TMJ

P. S.: And hint where I could start to get information about LVM, RAID,
EVMS or something like that or any other that could solve my problem?