[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: bitstreamout-0.42j (Was: AC3 over Soundcard(live and replay))

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:06:27AM +0100, Gregoire Favre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just bought now a soundcard ;-)
>
> Do you have an easy way to test the 5.1 (without the plugin: with the plugin,
> I don't hear anything at all...)?
>
> I have a Digifire 7.1 from Guillemot:
> http://www.logicosoftware.ch/fr/hardware/detail.asp?id=64
>
> And also a Thrustmaster Sound System 5.1
> http://www.logicosoftware.ch/marketing/content/thrustmaster/multi/sound/index.asp
>
> That are connected with SPDIF.
>
> I am running kernel 2.5.59 with ALSA compiled in.
>
> I am able to hear in stereo sound I can play with aplay through the
> SPDIF, and through the analog one, I could also hear from cd.
>
> I have tried to play DVD with mplayer to get 6 channels, but I got
> errors messages when I try alsa9, such that I fall back to oss, but I
> can't hear any sound at all???
>
> When I plug my 5.1 to my standalone DVD player, I have two choice:
>
>         * SPDIF/RAW
>         * SPDIF/PCM
>
> And if I choose SPDIF/PCM I can't hear any noise, but SPDIF/RAW works
> perfectly.
>
> Is there such an option in ALSA?

If the driver for your sound card supports None Audio PCM (RAW?)
the bitstreamout plugin opens the S/P-DIF of your sound card
in this mode.  Suppose you've connected a hardware decoder or
A/V receiver with hardware decoder to the S/P-DIF out of your
sound card you should hear 5.1.  Note: any hardware of software
decoder on/of the sound card isn't used.  You may also use the
program alsamixer to get familiar with the features of your sound card
supported by ALSA.

If you have a AC3 sound track, you may also try the program

   http://www.alsa-project.org/~iwai/ac3play-0.5.2f.tar.bz2

which is able to play such files. Maybe you'll find some ac3
at http://www.diatonis.com/downloads.html.

     Werner