[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: bitstreamout-0.42j (Was: AC3 over Soundcard(live and replay))

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:28:05PM +0100, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> If the driver for your sound card supports None Audio PCM (RAW?)
> the bitstreamout plugin opens the S/P-DIF of your sound card
> in this mode.  Suppose you've connected a hardware decoder or
> A/V receiver with hardware decoder to the S/P-DIF out of your
> sound card you should hear 5.1.  Note: any hardware of software
> decoder on/of the sound card isn't used.  You may also use the
> program alsamixer to get familiar with the features of your sound card
> supported by ALSA.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your plugin and your answer!!!

unfortunately I think not, as one can see in the output of amixer:

http://ulima.unil.ch/greg/linux/Digifire_7.1/amixer

> If you have a AC3 sound track, you may also try the program
>
>    http://www.alsa-project.org/~iwai/ac3play-0.5.2f.tar.bz2
>
> which is able to play such files. Maybe you'll find some ac3
> at http://www.diatonis.com/downloads.html.

./ac3play /data/linux/dvb/from_beyond_the_edge_44k_256kbps.ac3
ac3play: Unable to update the IEC958 control: No such file or directory
ac3play: Period size not available: Invalid argument
Segmentation fault

Does that mean I should forgot to have 5.1?

Thank you very much,

	Grégoire

PS: I have tried to post a private answer to Dr. Werner Fink but I
received my email in return...