[vdr] Re: pre-announce: new streaming plugin

On Sonntag, 9. Februar 2003 22:19 Matthias Mueller wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:55:42PM +0100, Sascha Volkenandt wrote:
> That's exactly what I wanted to implement. Nice that I don't have to do
> it, but can instead concentrate on an alternative output-plugin, that can
> be used together with sdl/x11 an my epia-m-board.

That's great, too, because that plugin would give me the possibility to test
mine @ another pc (no money for some additional cards).
I've also bought a DXR3 (11,40€) at eBay.

> If you implement multicast, please still offer unicast-mode.
> Do you want to stream pes or the raw ts-packets? I looked for a way to
> stream the ts-packets, but there seems to be no way to do this (klaus
> said, that there might come something in 1.3). This would require less
> cpu-power at the central vdr-server.

You're right on that, but I guess it will be the pes stream first. As you
said, there seems no way to do it the other way.

> My thoughts on the client for vdr:
> Implement it as a plugin that uses the cDevice-class to provide input to
> vdr like a nova-card (incl. tuning and so on). The plugin would translate
> the tuning commands from vdr and send them to the central vdr-server. It
> should look like a normal vdr-machine with a real dvb-card.
> Perhaps we could work together on the client side?

That's exactly what I wanted to do and that tells me that you could be the
ideal person to work on the client together with me ;)
But let me finish the server (at least the procotol) first.

The cDevice-Solution also has the advantage that a PC without any hardware
(using SDL-Out and Stream-In) can act as a VDR.

> > This way you could build up one VDR-Server (with 1-n Nova-Cards) and 1-n
> > Clients with dxr3-cards (or even no mpeg-hardware at all, once an
> > X11-Output-Plugin or similar is created).
> That's on my TODO and I just bought 2 more nova-cards on ebay, so i have
> enough test-equipement ;-)

I like you ;))))

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt