[vdr] Re: AW: Re: nvram-wakeup: service start up hangs

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Ralph Lautenschlaeger (RL) wrote:

RL> Hi,
RL>
RL> the hwclock hangs on bootup, because its waits for clock-tick.
RL> hwclock can't realy read the time from cmos.

it can, using --directisa. It doesn't by default, though.

RL> call hwclock -r --debug on bash, you can see, the debug-messages.

could you send me the output of it (via private mail), I don't have a
board with this phenomenon.

RL> i use an asus tuv4x-board.

could you tell me the configuration of nvram-wakeup you are using, so I
could add it to the cvs version.

RL> the poweroff and automatic restart works fine.
RL> but hwclocks works only with option --directisa. i think, the nvram-wakeup
RL> or the /dev/nvram writes to bad adresses

hmm, nvram-wakeup writes via /dev/nvram into adresses from the
configuration in nvram-wakeup-mb.h

if RTC_TIME=ON, then the rtc time is set via ioctls on /dev/rtc (provided
by the rtc kerel driver)

BTW.: which version of nvram-wakeup are you using? After CVS from
22.02.2002 /dev/rtc and /dev/nvram are never opened at the same time as
this prevented some boards to poweroff on 'halt -p'

RL> before  i  used the program nvram-weakeup, i could read from and write
RL> to  HWCLOCK without problems. on manual-pages of hwclock you can read,
RL> the  --directisa  works  only  on boards with isa-bus. but this option
RL> seems work correct on only pci-boards like tuv4x.

every intel based board has an isa bus (although in modern boards you
won't find any isa slots for isa cards)

RL> what make nvram-wakup wrong or wich bit in cmos block the clock-tick output
RL> to /dev/nvram?

please try the following:

  1. boot linux
  2. reboot (without using nvram-wakeup)
  3. boot linux.

are you still not able to read from /dev/rtc ?

c ya
        Sergei
--
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de               /\\