Mailing List archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[vdr] Mailing List Etiquette
Please take this as a serius advise. The VDR mailinglist is getting
quite large and it shouldn't become a pain in the ass to follow it.
Take the time to read it, especially if you are new to mailinglists
Thank you ...
Due to the increased volume of traffic currently appearing on the VDR
mailing lists, it's about time for a reminder of mailing list
Mailing list email should fit the following criteria:
* Trim quoted material to the minimum needed to clarify what you're
* Make sure you are attributing material to the correct person
(i.e. make sure the "On 19/07/2002, Joe Bloggs said:" is correct)
* Write your responses *after* the quoted text, not before. If your
mail client makes it difficult to do this, get a new one!
* Make sure lines are wrapped at 76 characters (to fit an 80 character
* Post in either HTML-only or in Text and HTML. If your mail client
doesn't support not doing this, please change it.
* Top post
* Give a one line answer having quoted the whole post
* Use too long a signature
* Reply where you should start a new thread
In general, make emails as short as possible whilst keeping them
This can really be summed up in one phrase - 'be polite'.
If you think something is off-topic, don't reply to the list although
you may want to send a short and *polite* note to the person privately
telling then which list would be more appropriate; don't just say -
"that is OT for here".
If someone flames or trolls the list, don't reply - it wastes everyones
Don't reply to spam which gets through to the list - just ignore it when
* The ultimate guide to most matters to do with email etiquette is
RFC-2822 which can be found at:
To unsubscribe send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with "unsubscribe vdr" as subject.
Main Index |